Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SurfTimer Reworking

Got the math for the ranks basically finalized.

There will be a point system and points will be awarded as follows:

You will get points for completing checkpoints and the map itself. The amount of points you get all together will be based on the difficulty of the map. For a linear map you will get 50 points for completing a map with the hardest difficulty (level 5). For a staged map with the same difficulty, those points will be distributed throughout the checkpoints and the actual completion of the map. However the total amount for a staged map of that difficulty will be slightly less because it is easier to accumulate points (you don't have to beat the whole map at once to get points, you get points per checkpoint as you go along). Note: The amount of points for a staged map of the same difficulty will be greater than points for a linear map past stage 9 due to the parabolic formula. This will not be a problem because most maps don't 9 stages anyway.

You will also get points for holding a record. It is based on the your rank (1 to 10), the difficulty of the map and the total amount of ranked players for that map. (The amount of points received for a record will be around the number of total points you can get from the map.)

I'm not going to post the formulas for the calculations but I think the way points are awarded is fair. Basically the most rewarding records will be on the hardest maps, with many ranked players and obviously rank 1 will give give the most points.

Easy maps (level 1) with many ranked players will not give as many points as lets say level 5 with the same amount of ranked players simply because the surf timer encourages SKILL as well as speed. if you are speedy on easy maps, you also have to be speedy on hard maps to be the top ranked surfer.

Bonuses will also award points based on difficulty, but you will not get extra points for being top10 in a bonus.

So hopefully this point system will work out well. I guess we'll just have to see once everything is up and running.

Senior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds good

Post Thanks / Like

This is the distribution of points for Level 1 maps (easiest) based on your rank. (The amount of points for being ranked increases with map difficulty.) These are addition points given for record holders on top of the ~10 points you can receive for completing such a map.

The X axis is your rank (goes up to 10), the Y axis in the points you will receive and each set of points is the amount of total ranked players there are for this map.

As you can see the gap for point distribution is the greatest between ranks 1 and 2. This gap increases as the total amount of players ranked increases. There is more competition thus I think ranked 1 player should get much more points.

The total difference between rank 1 and 10 is about 2x the amount of points. The formula became kind of funky while i was trying to get that to work. I wish i payed attention more in calculus =/

Anyway, the basic structure is 1/x graph. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better point distribution.

Senior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

well nice thoughts, but just a theoretical thought here: when lets say 400 ppl (just any high number) are ranked on a map like akai and 1 or 2 are ranked on legendary...those on rank 1 and 2 on akai get more points than those on akai? i wouldnt like that...

i like how the points are spread over the ranks (for one particular map)

Post Thanks / Like

Well since we can't beat legendary lets pick a hypothetical map that is level 5 difficulty.

Rank 1 and 2 on akia (level 1) with 400 people ranked will get 44 and 35 points respectively.

Rank 1 and 2 on (level 5 map) with 5 people ranked will get 37 and 29 points respectively.

But remember, by beating a map with level 5 difficulty you will receive ~50 points, plus 37 on top for being ranked 1. Total points : 87

A level 1 map will give you ~10 points and rank 1 with 400 people will give you 44 points. Total : 54 points

so points for ranks will be about the same, but total points will have a large difference only because one map is very hard and the other is very easy.

"those on rank 1 and 2 on akai get more points than those on akai? i wouldnt like that..." which wouldn't you like?

Post Thanks / Like

amazing, i cant wait to see it come into action. This will increase our server's player base TENFOLD :geek:

Senior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

""those on rank 1 and 2 on akai get more points than those on akai? i wouldnt like that..." which wouldn't you like?"
    theres a mistake it should been legendary instead of the second akai^^

well i forgot those poitns for beating the map, thats allright for me then. so rank points depending on competition and completing points depending on skill, thats smart. since i dont know your formulas: is there no way a level 1 rank 1 (rankpoints + completingpoints) gives more points than a level 5 rank 1?

some other things:
    1)if u beat the record u get thos ~40 poitns or whatever, so if some1 else beats it u lose them again right?
    2)do u get those completing-points every time u beat the map or just when u beat it the first time? if u get them everytime there should be a huge difference between a easy map/level and a logn skill map ( i mean i would rather surf fruits a 100 times than legendary or whatever 1 time to go up in rank: my fear is that if those easy maps give to much points we have even more noobmaps on the server than we already have (and that is already to much))

Post Thanks / Like

"is there no way a level 1 rank 1 (rankpoints + completingpoints) gives more points than a level 5 rank 1? "

The points received for those two scenarios I posted above are as close as they are going to get. 87 to 54. These reward points are on one side of the extreme. The other side is very little ranked for lvl1 which will yield ~25 points total for everything and many people ranked for lvl 5 which will yield ~200+ points.

1) Yes you will get bumped down and your points will get lowered if someone else gets a higher record and points will increase as more people become ranked over time
    2) points will get awarded only for the first time you beat the map/checkpoint/bonus

Senior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

allright than no further suggestion/complaints/questions looking forward to it being in action. nice work

Post Thanks / Like

penis.

Thread Information