Close

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Why do you hate/dislike Half-Sideways (or Angle Surf in general)? [Discussion]

Hey everybody!

Lately I've been thinking about why Half-Sideways or Angle Surf is hated so much. I shouldn't be caring about it so much, but I wondered.

I'm seeing alot of people just have pure hate against HSW and I don't understand why. It's just a style of surf you can do. I don't really care about if people don't react to me beating a WRCP or WR, that's fine with me. If you don't like it, then that's your opinion. What I don't understand is, why so many people seem to shittalk about it everytime it comes up. Mostly reactions are something like "HSW haHAA" or similar. Like yea, I get it you don't like it, but what is the point of literally being mean and shittalking someone because they surf that way. No matter how good you are doing it, you get shittalked about it.

I'm not saying that I'm complaining about it, since I don't really care if someone says some shit like above to me. I still do it and will do it, even if someone comes by and shittalks me for surfing HSW. I just like to know your opinion about why there is this hate about it in general.

Yeah, we aren't even close to being as good as the top surfers, the WR's aren't remotely close to being as good as the Forwards WRs, but it's a surfstyle you can do and people like it. We have a small community of HSW surfers which is nice, but seeing so much hate about it has me wondered.

It's always hate if you are using binds. I get it, it's kind of an adventage, but it keeps my fingers healthy. I use binds, yes, because using 4 fingers for surfing HSW hurts like hell after some time. It just makes it a bit easier. Maybe that's why people hate it? Because you have it a bit easier when using binds? But it doesn't really make the map easier. The map will stay the same difficulty using binds or not. So why hate it so much? I might not be around too long to be asking this, but it would be nice if you could post some examples to why you hate it (or dislike it) so much. And seriously, I don't care if someone just literally comments something like "It's just shit". Please just be nice and respectful, that's all I ask. I don't need pure toxic comments and I definitly don't care about a pure toxic comment.

People also say it's "eye-cancer", but I don't really have that problem. Yea, it's a 45° angle but it isn't bad. But if people have problems with it, I'm fine with it.

I'm having fun surfing HSW and probably will keep doing it for as long as I surf. It's just my way of surfing. I love it!

I don't seek attention with this post, it's mainly for understanding the hate a bit more (even tho it won't effect me in anyway).

I'm sorry for making it a bit long, but thanks for reading and considering dicussing it here.

-Danger

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, as far as people hating on the surfers that surf HSW... They're just stupid and should be ignored. No reason to be disrespectful to somebody just because they perfer a different style of surfing. Me personally, i hate HSW because of the fact that it's pretty much just FW but at a 45 degree angle with easier records. Binds kinda ruin HSW surf for me, and takes the fun out of it in my opinion. I would love if HSW was sorta like the bhop version, if done well it can be really fun and even fast (as shown by Silverthing's masonry wr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxk33c1sdzY) but with binds doing that kind of HSW is pretty much pointless unless you're a god at it like Silverthing. Edit: NVM silver didn't do it on that run, but i know hes really good at it lol.

3. Thanks Danger thanked for this post
    Likes Danger liked this post
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can definitly see what you mean. And honestly I completely agree with you. The records are easy because of the binds (even tho I use them because of the hand). At some point it is actually quite boring surfing HSW, because once you figure it out like me, have your binds and just board ramps well, know the route, you can literally beat anything. You don't even try hard enough, because why? Who's gonna be a threat? Not trying to be boasting, but it's actually true. The mindset changes after a while, at the moment it's simply: "Just one-shot and you'll have WR", you don't even try anymore. Normally there should be joy in beating a WR, I mean it's a WR, but because it's just a WR, not even as good as FW and probably just a simple one-shot, it's just: "yep, got it."

Sorry I'm kinda drifting apart. But honestly I actually want to try surfing HSW without binds, I want to learn it, even tho its gonna be hard and I'll destroy my hand, lol. Thank you for sharing your opinion, couldn't agree more with you!

Post Thanks / Like
    cause of the damn non-disableable announcements

6. Thanks Danger thanked for this post
    Likes Crayz, Danger liked this post
    Dislikes Danger disliked this post
    Regular Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    because I got clapped by pro surfers going hsw in combat surf back in the day and they're just doing it to flex

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not that ppl hate it they just don't care or take it seriously cause there's no real competition. Unless you do something that clearly took a lot of time and effort nobody gives a shit. As for binds that's the main reason I stuck to sideways and never even touched hsw, if you use binds it feels like cheating but who tf would want to play with a massive disadvantage.

9. Thanks Danger thanked for this post
    Likes Danger, Nowlech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    indeed maggi, the only thing im proud of all my whole hsw ''career'' is being the first ever surfer to complete surf_sinister_evil bonus 1 in hsw (which i spent a lot of days tring to get it) in both css+csgo
    Rest is just meh because you can do a 5min run and still get WR due to no one competing
    Last edited by Sundayy; 04-27-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i think everyone hates/hated angle surf coz sunday did it lol

12. Thanks Juxtapo, Sam, Draph thanked for this post
    Likes Juxtapo, Sam liked this post
    Dislikes Sundayy, supremee disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    how to like a post more than once

Thread Information