Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Add a new tier between Exceptional and Experienced

I think doing so is good for a few reasons, which are:

1. New players on average don't farm g1 t1's nearly as fast as people that come on KSF that are already familiar with how to surf well, so it takes them quite some time to farm up the 20k or so points to get Exceptional. I think this causes them to become discouraged from playing on KSF after a while, I don't know the stats but I don't think many people that reach the 3k point mark for Experienced play to be anywhere near the 20k point mark. I think adding a rank at around the 10k point area (1k overall rank or so) will motivate these new players to continue playing as there is an obtainable rank within reach. It's no secret that people like to be rewarded for their effort, and I think the reward is just too far off.

2. The Exceptional rank as it is currently is just 1 step up from Experienced, however I don't think this is representative of how good people at 3k-12k points are to people that have Exceptional. I think adding the new rank would increased the value of Exceptional to where it should be.

3. I think this will generate more donations. Again I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure that most VIP's are at least Experienced and as I think this change targets people that have at least committed that time and effort, a change that increases the possibility of them playing on KSF will make it more likely that they donate.

just a quick micorsolution lol

I'll bring Scotty's suggestion to the top because I actually prefer it over mine.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post

so at a minimum copying css ranks below exceptional would be a good first step and i would even double that in scale for csgo

12000+ Experienced
    8000-11999 Skilled
    5000-7999 Casual
    2000-4999 Beginner
    0-1999 Rookie

Last edited by Water; 08-30-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Junior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    More ranks = less satisfaction by getting higher ranks = less motivation to play - it's how I personally see it so I don't think it's needed, just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Masog View Post
    More ranks = less satisfaction by getting higher ranks = less motivation to play - it's how I personally see it so I don't think it's needed, just my opinion.

I think the amount of players discouraged from continuing to play because of the long grind between experienced and exceptional outweighs the people that feel a big sense of accomplishment by grinding to exceptional.

Exceptional rank is also diminished by being just 1 step up from 3k points. I think the sense of accomplishment will be greater to some people if there was a rank between them and Experienced. So they aren't just 1 step up from someone that's played for a few hours or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think additional tier is required, the grind from exceptional to experienced is not even too long, you can literally just play all tier 1-3 maps and get g2-1 in 30 of them and you're pretty much there.

Also I doubt it would generate more donations since you can just change your tag when you buy vip.

I agree with masog, it would be less satisfying if you got a new rank more often

Post Thanks / Like
    i think you have an interesting point but maybe the wrong idea

here are the current csgo ranks:
    http://imgur.com/ZczF4ii

~rank 3900 in csgo will get you experienced with 3000 points

the next rank is 500 for exceptional here:
    http://imgur.com/qWBEYuM

these ranks have been around a very long time
    i think for csgo, maybe adjusting the points for ranks below exceptional would make more sense

let's look at css ranks here:
    http://imgur.com/DZq4UJY

http://imgur.com/8Neebds

so for csgo you have to go from 3000 points to ~20000 points
    for css you have to go from 6000 points to ~21000 points

there are over twice as many surfers that are ranked in csgo than css and it is much easier to get improvement points on low tier maps
    for example, i have ~6600 improvement points on 168 maps for css
    i have ~6400 improvement points on 17 (!!!) maps in csgo

so at a minimum copying css ranks below exceptional would be a good first step and i would even double that in scale for csgo

12000+ Experienced
    8000-11999 Skilled
    5000-7999 Casual
    2000-4999 Beginner
    0-1999 Rookie

i'm sure evolv/untouch have their reasons though and it would anger everyone 12000 points and below

i can only speak for css, but the difference in skill between rank 500 and 300 is huge
    the difference in skill between 300 and 100 is even more crazy
    the top 100 surfers on css are in a different tier altogether
    Last edited by scotty; 08-29-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    I don't think additional tier is required, the grind from exceptional to experienced is not even too long, you can literally just play all tier 1-3 maps and get g2-1 in 30 of them and you're pretty much there.

Also I doubt it would generate more donations since you can just change your tag when you buy vip.

I agree with masog, it would be less satisfying if you got a new rank more often

I don't think that holds up though. I think that if more people were actively playing it'll generate more donations. Statistically speaking. I think this change will make for more people playing because the next tier up is within reach.

I think the majority of VIP's are people over Experienced rank that have committed to playing. I think the change I suggested would increase the people committing to play.

Also it's not a simple task to get g2-1 in 30 maps. It is for people like us that know what we're doing but on average it'll take a long ass time for a new player. For example I can smurf up to diamond on league in 2 or so weeks, but it'll take years for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    i think you have an interesting point but maybe the wrong idea

here are the current csgo ranks:
    http://imgur.com/ZczF4ii

~rank 3900 in csgo will get you experienced with 3000 points

http://imgur.com/qWBEYuM

these ranks have been around a very long time
    i think for csgo, maybe adjusting the points for ranks below exceptional would make more sense

let's look at css ranks here:
    http://imgur.com/DZq4UJY

http://imgur.com/8Neebds

so for csgo you have to go from 3000 points to ~20000 points
    for css you have to go from 6000 points to ~21000 points

there are over twice as many surfers that are ranked in csgo than css and it is much easier to get improvement points on low tier maps
    for example, i have ~6600 improvement points on 168 maps for css
    i have ~6400 improvement points on 17 (!!!) maps in csgo

12000+ Experienced
    8000-11999 Skilled
    5000-7999 Casual
    2000-4999 Beginner
    0-1999 Rookie

i'm sure evolv/untouch have their reasons though and it would anger everyone 12000 points and below

i can only speak for css, but the difference in skill between rank 500 and 300 is huge
    the difference in skill between 300 and 100 is even more crazy
    the top 100 surfers on css are in a different tier altogether
    That would make the distance between Experienced and Exceptional less however it would also potentially make people that would have been motivated by getting a rank at 3k give up because they need to have 12k before getting to the next tier. Essentially creating the same problem I described for Experienced to Exceptional but now with Skilled and Experienced. I think instead of doing that adding a new rank at around 12k will allow players to be motivated to get to it, and then motivated to get to the one that isn't ridiculously far off in a new player perspective.

Edit: Sorry I didn't fully read what you wrote, I redact my previous paragraph. I like your suggestion. Making the earlier ranks have higher requirements but still spacing them well is a good suggestion that I agree with. That can totally work and wouldn't require a new rank. As for angering people 12k and below, I'm not sure about that. Me personally I wouldn't mind it if I was a new player but that's because I like working towards every rank and progressing slowly but at a good rate. As it is now the bottom 4 ranks are all pretty much rookie tier 1-4 and not an actual indicator of progress.
    Last edited by Water; 08-29-2016 at 08:34 PM.

KSF Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Masog View Post
    Ranks don't really get satisfying to climb until you hit Expert in my opinion (however that may have just been because i started when expert wasnt all that hard to get). And if there is an imbalance in chat ranks like OP is describing, then seeing you need to double your points or whatever to get to the next chat rank is much more demotivating than there just being an extra one in the middle.

Junior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just would like to clarify that we can't look at CS:GO ranks in the same way like we would look at CS:S ranks, just saying. In CS:GO I believe you get a few thousands points for g1s on maps like mesa, aircontrol, leet and stuff. And g1s on these maps are like top 1k players or so, so it really isn't hard at all to get - every Exceptional player should be able to get top 1k on any tier 1 map, right? So when Experienced player's skill hits the level of getting g1's on tier 1 maps he will get Exceptional in no time.
    To sum up what I said, in CS:GO you get way more points for completing maps because of a really big playerbase AND need less points to rankup than in CS:S because of less good players. Well, even I was Master in CS:GO after like a week of a little tier 1-3 grind, I think I had like 60 completions back then. I don't really play on CS:GO for like over half a year and I believe I'm still top 25 and that makes me think that ranking up is so easy in CS:GO that it's especially not needed, if ever, I would add another rank for CS:S.

And yeah, I kind of agree Juxtapo, I remember when I hit Expert in CS:S ~2 years ago or so and that was the most satisfying so far, but Exceptional was the first big rank gap that made it really satisfying to get too, and then there was Hotshot that no one really cares about.

And Scotty's double scaling points ranks idea is pretty good, it would make less big gaps between ranks in CS:GO.
    Last edited by Masog; 08-30-2016 at 02:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything below expert = rookie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THERAPIST View Post
    Everything below expert = rookie
    :- (

Thread Information