Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    As it is right now, your game is just a copy of KSF servers with the only improvement to gameplay being no rampglitches.

Skillsurf being an extremely competitive community, I'm surprised I haven't seen any discussion about a ranking system. For me to be interested in this game you would have to have a database similar to KSF that will record a personal record of any player in any server with the specific "competitive/classic" configurations, allowing players to go on single player to a map they want at any time to break their records without having to wait for a vote and convincing 20 rookies to vote for your map. Also this competitive mode should have SourceTV type of thing that saves WRs for anyone to see.

If your game doesn't have something unique like this, I don't see more than a few people switching from CSS to your game. If you're looking to get any profit from your project I think you should've gone with the "treasure hunt" game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    As it is right now, your game is just a copy of KSF servers with the only improvement to gameplay being no rampglitches.

Skillsurf being an extremely competitive community, I'm surprised I haven't seen any discussion about a ranking system. For me to be interested in this game you would have to have a database similar to KSF that will record a personal record of any player in any server with the specific "competitive/classic" configurations, allowing players to go on single player to a map they want at any time to break their records without having to wait for a vote and convincing 20 rookies to vote for your map. Also this competitive mode should have SourceTV type of thing that saves WRs for anyone to see.

If your game doesn't have something unique like this, I don't see more than a few people switching from CSS to your game. If you're looking to get any profit from your project I think you should've gone with the "treasure hunt" game.
    I already thought about it before. The only problem is making sure the player didn't cheat, which can be done. Though that's something that will come at the end of the development.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post

I didn't bother making a reply yet but this kind of sums up what I would have said. Really no reason for your game to exist right now, sorry.

Regular Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    I support your project. I'm picturing a standalone game where content creators can upload and submit their maps which are then rated by the community, option to enable/disable the map for server owners, and automatically inserted into the global database ready for people to load up in single or multiplayer & grind for times competing for either server or global rank.

There's much more possibility then just that, but the game has to be created with a decent level of quality to give surfers the incentive to leave CS:S/CS:GO/TF2/whatever. Keep at it

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest benefit I see from this is making a private server to surf without having connect to the online ones while still being able to upload times to global stats. Having shitty internet sucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you ever check out Kzmod for some ideas? It was a similar effort for counterstrike game modes including surf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKm0KJd3hyQ

An incredible amount of work went into it by many dedicated people, tons of improvements over cs, many great maps (loads of them even got ported back over into css), built in timers/mechanics/leaderboards/game types/models/sounds/etc. It really was amazing but it died over and over after any attempt to revive it because in the end people just played the base counterstrike game. Looking at what you've got so far I don't think there's anything that would sway players over but I'll be sure to check back when you're further along in development. You'll definitely want to think about some things beyond what surfing in CSS has to offer though rather than just improving what we already have.

The main appeal of a standalone project like this for me would be a better GUI than what we deal with in CSS, made with just surfing in mind, letting any player quickly browse leaderboards, instantly watch replays and go for records without needing to play on a server. Think games like inMomentum which is pretty much a standalone in the same vein as defrag and bhop.

The other thing that looked like it could have great potential is a map builder that takes some of the effort out of using hammer, just quality of life functions like a dynamic surf ramp creation tool are a great start. The amount of stuff you can do in hammer is crazy but nobody has made a CSS map anywhere near the editor's full potential. A few people have done some really interesting things, especially in kz (rest in peace aoki), and I guess it's mostly just stuff that would polish maps aesthetically and not effect gameplay but there's a huge lack of literature for these advanced things and having to fuck around with .dlls just to hack some functions in, so I'd definitely be interested in what you come up with to bring that to the average user. But then again I'd probably be more excited if it could create compatible maps that I could just play in CSS.

I think classic mode and super mode is a terrible idea, if you want low skill requirement content or a race/fast version do it with a map, not a mode. Make it super easy or fast paced with boosters/starting gates, whatever, just not by changing the settings you're playing on. It's like vq3/cpm for defrag players, autohop/easy servers for bhop players and 100 tick servers for surf players, all it does is fracture the community. Work out what settings you want at the start and stick to them using mapping to get the gameplay you want.

The other thing is that no amount of features will matter compared to how the gameplay feels, but I can't try it out right now.

I honestly wish you good luck, I was a huge kzmod fan and I don't think any harm could come from your game so I hope your effort isn't for nothing.
    Last edited by Sorry; 05-12-2015 at 10:06 PM.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this still in progress? I see so much potential in this game.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Broken link?!

Hi there. Not sure if anyone has actually noticed this, but the link seems to be broken. Please update the thread if this is the case, and let me know if it's still up.
    Really hope that it hasn't been discontinued, even though it's been nearly a year. Anyways, you have my full support for your game, and hope to play it soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was honestly going to make a surf game, but I guess it's alright that you're doing it aswell, best of luck on it! If you need help w/ it let me know, I'm a game designer aswell.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    fix link please ))

Thread Information