Close

Post Thanks / Like

More ranks: round 2

Subjective support:
    Change is good, keeps things fresh
    I think MOST people would like (and benefit from) the addition of new ranks

Objective support:
    When you press tab and look at the scoreboard a majority of players tend to be experienced
    The rank experienced doesn't say a lot about how a good a player is because of the large gap

points gap (to rank up)
    experienced 6000 20075
    exceptional 26075 6899
    hotshot 32974 13036
    expert 46010 17013
    pro 63023

Note: Distance between experienced and exceptional is bigger than the next 3 gaps

Proposed solution:
    Add two new ranks: One at rank 1000 and one at rank 700

points gap
    exp 6000 8326
    1000 14326 5244
    700 19570 6505
    excep 26075 6899
    hot 32974 13036
    expert 46010 17013
    pro 63023

Possible names for new ranks: Talented, Proficient, Outstanding, Adept, Ace, Distinguished

Thoughts?

*** I know ranks (the names not the numbers) aren't that important but I think this would be nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by murglegurgle View Post
    Note: Distance between experienced and exceptional is bigger than the next 3 gaps
    That's because at that rank it's much easier for the player to gain points then when you're at rank 200

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, but to get experienced the total points required are 6000 and then suddenly there's a 20k point gap to rank up again. This results in a majority of people sitting at experienced for the next 500 hours of surf. There's a huge difference in skill between people who just hit experienced and those who have earned 20k+ points. The difference is big enough to deserve separate ranks imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by murglegurgle View Post
    Agreed, but to get experienced the total points required are 6000 and then suddenly there's a 20k point gap to rank up again. This results in a majority of people sitting at experienced for the next 500 hours of surf. There's a huge difference in skill between people who just hit experienced and those who have earned 20k+ points. The difference is big enough to deserve separate ranks imo.
    the ranks are already fucked up since a lot of surfers come from other games so it really doesn't matter that much now. I think the huge point difference between experienced and exceptional is fine since it actually feels good to rank up

5. Thanks wonton soup thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll agree with you that a decently-sized gap between the point based ranks and the numerical ranks should exist. However, a 20k point gap is overkill. Even with the addition of 2 new ranks, there's still an 8k point gap. You would still have to more than double your current points to rank up (from 6k), which should be enough of a gap to feel satisfaction.

And I agree with you about players coming from other games since they can gain points faster, but what about the occasional new player?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowlech View Post
    That's because at that rank it's much easier for the player to gain points then when you're at rank 200
    It's easiest to gain points when you're rookie but there's still the smallest gap there.

8. Likes dexter liked this post

Thread Information