Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: surf_mesa_fix

Junior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

surf_mesa_fix

Hi,
    a few of you might know about the legendary mesa_fix project i've started like almost a year ago - and lately I've decided to finish it.
    The fix version includes / notes:
    - all ramps are remade, 1 ramp is now made out of 2 brushes (the ramp is func_detail and the neon line is non solid func_brush) instead of originally 5,
    - because the ramps are remade, the lights differ a little bit, but they still use the same system as before (light comes from specific blue neon textures used on ramps, and the lava texture at the end of course) - in the video below the lights aren't final yet and require a few touches, but some of smaller "shadow bugs" will most likely remain in a minimal amount that shouldn't change your feel of the map,
    - the ramps are the same exact size / shape as previous ramps, just to be clear - no advantages over the original map, other than no ramp bugs,
    - the visuals are a bit worse in the _fix version because of the way the ramps are made. The ramps are made out of 1 big texture simulating the previous 5 brushes creating a ramp, as a result of this, the current textures don't have the "reflect" effect that propably most / all of you haven't even noticed, but yeah. Also the neon lines that are actually producing light are sticking out of the ramps a little, but as I said before, these are non solid so no worries, most of you propably won't even notice that anyway,
    - nothing other than ramps got changed, stripper configs and stuff like that will still work the same way as on the original map,
    - Arblarg personally permitted me to create this version of his map.

surf_mesa_fix video showing how the map looks for now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdMFtAxbz1o
    Take a note that the lights are a bit bugged at very few places and they will be fixed before release.

And now - why am I writing all of this? Well, first of all - the map isn't just my idea because I got bored or some shit, it was a request of a lot of people - some of the better and the worse surfers - some of them are even good enough to contest the wr, but they don't want to because of the ramp glitches. And that's where the idea of fixing the map started. I've even asked Sacred if he would replace the map if it was the exact same in surfing as the original - he agreed (even though that was quite a long time ago).

So, the purpose of this thread is finding people and hopefully a server for tests of the map - alone I won't find some errors that might've happened - actually, I've never ever surfed left side of the map because I just can't, it's awkward lol. Basicly we have to test the map and find & fix any possible bugs before releasing the fixed version, I hope there are a few players that know mesa well (top10 or something) that would want to test it - for now I just know that Rickzter is willing to help and also Beetle, but for a few next weeks he is busy with something so he can't really.

TL;DR: surf_mesa_fix is real, need ppl who know mesa to test it (and server for tests if anyone has one) for any possible errors, ty.

KSF Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You forgot to build cubemaps
    Last edited by Juxtapo; 05-03-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    big fan of the mesa maps in general, so a mesa_fix sounds really interesting. hopefully i'll replace the original.

Post Thanks / Like

Junior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapo View Post
    You forgot to build cubemaps
    I have no idea how to place cubemaps and also no idea what those really do (other than adding proper reflections) so I don't even know how you've noticed, if you care to explain, valve site kinda just says "place them good, scrub". I've seen a couple cubemaps on the decompiled map already though, idk if they do something.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to test the map, not top10 but i dont suck either

Post Thanks / Like
    that's a nice run tbh, also would love to see this on GO as well

Junior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbk View Post
    that's a nice run tbh, also would love to see this on GO as well
    That was just a first try run to show the map, but thanks
    Also I'm most likely going to port the map to CSGO too, I play there way too often to not do that.

BTW: Anyone who is willing to help with testing and is pretty good at surfing please add me on steam.

Junior Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    i never really experienced ramp glitches on that map. Although I really dislike it so i dont play it often

Post Thanks / Like
    added you! cant wait to try out mesa without aids ramp bugs

Thread Information